Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Message from the Great Northwest Region Manager – Marc Simpson

It’s hard to believe that we’re quickly approaching the end of our ARMA year!
This year the Region Team chose to use a “Wizard of OZ” theme to weave through our messages. The choice became obvious at our Leadership Conference last June. Fran, Cindy, and I were having our picture taken with Tom Killam, Director of Member Services at ARMA International. Fran and I barely hover around the 5’ mark and Cindy a bit below that. Tom on the other hand easily tops 6’. So Tom got on his knees for the picture and was still nearly as tall as we are! Well Munchkin land quickly came to mind. When Deb Martin, our Region Director of Marketing told us she is from Kansas, it was a done deal. We hope you’ve enjoyed it.

In the end of the story, as Dorothy awakens from her dream, one of the things she tells her Auntie Em is that if she ever feels the need to go looking for her heart’s desire again, she needn’t go any farther than her own backyard. And that is how I feel about ARMA.

Interestingly, not long after I became Region Manager, I started receiving things from other organizations. Some wanted me to join them. Another offered me a special rate to take their courses to earn one of their designations. I received announcements regarding every conference under the sun. Now there’s nothing wrong with any of the organizations that contacted me. They are fine organizations and I am always interested in expanding my knowledge. It simply made me ask myself if I wasn’t already getting everything I need from ARMA. It didn’t take very long for me to realize that I do! Everything I need in RIM is available through ARMA!

Through my membership in ARMA and my local chapter, I have access to webinars, seminars, chapter programs, InfoPro Online, the Information Management magazine, GNW Region conferences, and the annual ARMA International Conference; to say nothing of the volume of information available through my chapter’s library and the ARMA International bookstore! From basics to bleeding edge, ARMA has it all. And it is all available to you too!

As we’ve mentioned over the past nine months, unlike any other organization I’ve ever known, ARMA is a family. I have made some life-long friends through ARMA. I’m sure that many of you have as well.

So for me, it’s as plain as a Kansas cornfield. There’s no place like ARMA.

As we come to the end of another year, we also are coming to the end of Fran Blaylock’s tenure as our Region Coordinator. I don’t think that I can find enough words to describe what a tremendous asset she has been to our region and especially to me. But you all know that. This is my rookie year as Region Manager and Fran has been there to help me every step of the way. It’s with great sadness that we will watch her leave the Region Team at the end of June. Please join me in thanking Fran for the great job she has done!

Hey, why not thank Fran in person? Attend the Great Northwest Leadership Conference, June 26-27 in Boise, Idaho. Although we really want all of the chapter leadership to be there, this conference isn’t just for members of the chapter boards. It’s also for newsletter editors, webmasters, and anyone who would like to get some great leadership training! Check out the flyer posted on the Region website for details.

Has your training budget been slashed? We know that we’re all feeling the pinch. That’s why our conference co-chairs, Michelle Morrison and Bruce Walters rolled up their sleeves to put together a leadership conference that will be as great as ever, but with a few less frills. The result is a lowered registration rate and a great hotel rate. Kudos to Michelle and Bruce for a great job!

And don’t forget, the Great Northwest Region is once again offering four scholarships for registration to the conference. Still need a little help? Because we know that travel budgets have been cut for many of us, the Region is offering all carpools of 3 or more attendees up to $50 to defray your fuel costs. We hope to see you there! Check the region website for an application for both of these offerings.

So as this ARMA year winds down the yellow brick road, I want to thank my Region Team and all of you for all you do for our chapters, our region, ARMA, and our profession and for all of your support!

There truly is no place like ARMA!

Very Truly Yours,

Marc J. Simpson, Manager
Great Northwest Region
Of ARMA International

No comments: